Where did my lost pet go, how do I find it?
Arizona Revised Statute 11-1013 states “Each stray dog or any cat impounded shall be kept and maintained at the county pound for a minimum of 72 hours or 120 hours for an animal that is wearing a license, unless claimed or surrendered by its owner.”
This statute means your stray pet may have as little as 72 hours before it is euthanized (killed by lethal injection) or adopted by someone else, so look as soon as your pet is lost and keep looking.
Navajo County currently has no centralized lost and found listing that provides information about your lost pet to all the county’s shelters and animal control and care agencies/organizations, so you must spend some time looking for your lost pet.
Remember to license your pet and always update phone numbers on microchips. If you have pets to microchip (permanent identification), the Pet Allies Clinic (928) 532-1602 provides microchips for $20.
Navajo County: Stray pets found in the unincorporated areas of Navajo County are taken to any one of three animal shelters under contract to Navajo County Animal Control (Holbrook, Snowflake, Humane Society shelters). Where you are located in the county does not have a relationship to where your stray pet may end up. For example, strays from the Heber/Overgaard area of Navajo County may end up in the Holbrook, Snowflake, or Humane Society shelter.
Remember your stray pet may have wandered over city or county limits. Here is a list of those shelters:
• Holbrook Animal Control Shelter, 105 Old Airport Rd, (928) 524-6828/(928) 524-3991 emergency. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
• Snowflake Animal Control Shelter, 600 Snow Blvd. Call the Snowflake Police Dept: (928) 536-7500. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
• Humane Society of the White Mountains, 3212 N. Porter Mountain Rd, Lakeside: (928) 368-5295. Hours: Tuesday-Friday, 10:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
• City of Show Low: Stray pets found in Show Low city limits are taken to Show Low Animal Control Shelter, 1181 E .Thornton Rd. (928) 537-8009. Hours: Thursday, 12-6 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. or by appointment.
• Towns of Snowflake and Taylor: Stray pets found in Snowflake and Taylor limits are taken to Snowflake Animal Control Shelter (see contact information above).
• Town of Pinetop-Lakeside: Stray pets found in the Town of Pinetop-Lakeside limits are taken to the Humane Society of the White Mountains (see contact information above).
• City of Holbrook: Stray pets found in City of Holbrook limits are taken to Holbrook Animal Control Shelter (see contact information above).
• City of Winslow: Stray pets found in the City of Winslow city limits are taken to Winslow Animal Control Shelter Municipal Airport Rd. (928) 289-3232/(928) 289-2431 emergency.
This information provided as a courtesy of Pet Allies www.petalliesaz.org