Car plows into crowd at white nationalist rally: Dodge Charger accelerates into counter-protesters and hits up to 20 people as riot cops use tear gas to stop violent clashes and a state of emergency is declared
- A car plowed into at least 20 protesters at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia on Saturday
- At least eight were hurt in multiple heated clashes earlier at Unite the Right rally, according to police
- First Lady Melania Trump admonished the day’s events, tweeting: ‘Our country encourages freedom of speech, but let’s communicate w/o hate in our hearts. No good comes from violence’
- President Trump later tweeted: ‘We ALL must be united & condemn all that hate stands for. There is no place for this kind of violence in America. Lets come together as one!’
- The rally was being held at Emancipation Park and hundreds were seen stomping through the city
- A local state of emergency was declared around 11am and the rally was determined an unlawful assembly
A driver has intentionally plowed into a group of anti-fascist protesters hitting up to 20 people in Charlottesville, Virginia, after violent clashes erupted between white nationalists and activists on Saturday.
Video shows the Dodge Charger accelerating into the crowd throwing bodies into the air as people scream before reversing at high speed – it is not known how many people have been injured.
It came after violent clashes erupted as hundreds of white supremacists including armed militias marched into Charlotesville sparking violent confrontations with the counter protesters. Police cleared the scene with tear gas but the violence continued.
Horrifying video from the scene of the car attack shows blood spattered on the vehicle’s windshield as victims desperately call out for medical help.
A counter protester had allegedly thrown a rock at the car, causing the driver to swivel around and ram into people and cars in its way, before driving off.
Local police reported there were at least 20 people hit and three vehicles were involved in the crash.
People are heard screaming and crying in the aftermath of the smash, as blood was splattered on a car’s windshield and victims were desperately calling out for medical help.
In addition to the dozen of people hurt in the accident, at least eight people were being treated already for their injures during other destructive clashes between white nationalists and counter-protesters at Emancipation Park before the controversial Unite the Right rally.
Scroll down for more video