New evidence surfaces in Tara Reade allegation against Biden
A 1993 video appears to show her mother calling the Larry King Show to discuss “problems” while working for “a prominent senator.”
Democratic Presidential candidate Joe Biden. | Rick Loomis/Getty Images
04/24/2020 11:45 PM EDT
A 1993 video has surfaced that appears to show the mother of Tara Reade, the former aide to Joe Biden who has accused him of sexual assault, talking about “problems” her daughter faced on CNN’s “Larry King Live.”
As first reported by the Intercept, an unnamed woman from San Luis Obispo, California, called into King’s show and said, “I’m wondering what a staffer would do besides go to the press in Washington? My daughter has just left there, after working for a prominent senator, and could not get through with her problems at all, and the only thing she could have done was go to the press, and she chose not to do it out of respect for him.”
Reade confirmed to POLITICO it was her mother’s voice.
King asked the woman, “She had a story to tell but, out of respect for the person she worked for, she didn’t tell it?”
The caller replied, “That’s true.”
In March, Reade accused Biden of digitally penetrating her in 1993 without her consent. Last year, she told reporters that Biden inappropriately touched her at the time, including on her neck and shoulder, but did not talk about an alleged assault.
“She called him, I think, ‘a prominent senator,'” Reade said in an interview last month. “She didn’t get into the assault, she got into the harassment. She said my daughter was sexually harassed by a very prominent senator, and then they retaliated and fired her.”
According to a transcript of the show and a video clip, the caller does not reference sexual harassment or firing. She does, however, talk about an unnamed “prominent senator.”
Biden’s campaign did not provide comment. Kate Bedingfield, his deputy campaign manager and communications director, previously denied Reade’s allegations.
“Vice President Biden has dedicated his public life to changing the culture and the laws around violence against women. He authored and fought for the passage and reauthorization of the landmark Violence Against Women Act. He firmly believes that women have a right to be heard — and heard respectfully,” she said. “Such claims should also be diligently reviewed by an independent press. What is clear about this claim: it is untrue. This absolutely did not happen.”
Multiple women have accused Biden of inappropriately touching them, but Reade is the only person who has gone on the record alleging sexual assault.
Donald Trump Jr. tweeted several times about Reade’s allegations Friday evening. “Joe Biden isn’t sheltering in place in his basement bunker because of the pandemic, he’s hiding from Tara Reade,” he said.
- New evidence surfaces in Tara Reade allegation against Biden
- How overly optimistic modeling distorted Trump team’s coronavirus response
- Navy recommends reinstating fired captain who sounded alarm on coronavirus outbreak
- Texas governor takes heat from his right as he plots careful course on coronavirus
- Trump attacks AT&T CEO after company announces retirement
BY ADAM CANCRYN
Your daily update on how the illness is affecting politics, markets, public health and more.SIGN UP
- Simple Way To Reduce Toenail Fungus? (Watch)healthbenefits.vip
- Here’s What New Dental Implants Should Cost in 2020Dental Implants | Sponsored Listings
- Before you renew Amazon Prime, read thisWikibuy
- Plastic Surgeon Tells: “Doing This Every Morning Can Snap Back Sagging Skin (No…Beverly Hills MD
- That proud feeling that comes with switching and saving.Progressive
- Millions of People are Writing Better all Because of This App. Download It Now!Grammarly
- Dr: This May Be The Best CBD Ever For Aching Joints, Anxiety, & Sleephealth-repair.com
- Why We’re In Love With The 2020 Toyota PriusEdmunds
- Top U.S. Economist George Gilder Makes New PredictionInternetReboot2020.com
- [Pics] Is The Most Deadly Snake Known To Man From Arizona?Maternity Week
- About Us
- Breaking News Alerts
- Credit Card Payments
- Digital Edition
- Print Subscriptions
- Write For Us
- Site Map
© 2020 POLITICO LLC