The Bureau of Land Management manages oil and gas development on federal lands and processes drilling applications. Each year it receives more applications than it can review. It also approves more permits than operators use.
While the application backlog has improved—with review times dropping by more than half from May 2016-June 2019—we found problems with the data system used to track applications. Users are dissatisfied with how it works and we found, in some cases, records have been lost.
Among other things, we recommended that the Bureau improve the data system used to track applications.
MAR 31, 2020
- MIXED-USE FISHERIES:South Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico Councils Would Benefit from Documented Processes for Allocation Reviews
GAO-20-216: Published: Mar 31, 2020. Publicly Released: Mar 31, 2020.
MAR 11, 2020
- ABANDONED HARDROCK MINES:Information on Number of Mines, Expenditures, and Factors That Limit Efforts to Address Hazards
GAO-20-238: Published: Mar 5, 2020. Publicly Released: Mar 11, 2020.
MAR 6, 2020
- BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT:Agency’s Reorganization Efforts Did Not Substantially Address Key Practices for Effective Reforms
GAO-20-397R: Published: Mar 6, 2020. Publicly Released: Mar 6, 2020.
MAR 2, 2020
- ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION:Additional Action Needed to Improve EPA Data on Informal Enforcement and Compliance Assistance Activities
GAO-20-95: Published: Jan 31, 2020. Publicly Released: Mar 2, 2020.
FEB 26, 2020
- NATIVE AMERICAN ISSUES:Examples of Certain Federal Requirements That Apply to Cultural Resources and Factors That Impact Tribal Consultation
GAO-20-466T: Published: Feb 26, 2020. Publicly Released: Feb 26, 2020.
FEB 20, 2020
- HANFORD CLEANUP:DOE Should Take Actions to Improve Inspections and Oversight of Contaminated Excess Facilities
GAO-20-161: Published: Jan 21, 2020. Publicly Released: Feb 20, 2020.
FEB 13, 2020
- WATER INFRASTRUCTURE:Technical Assistance and Climate Resilience Planning Could Help Utilities Prepare for Potential Climate Change Impacts
GAO-20-24: Published: Jan 16, 2020. Publicly Released: Feb 13, 2020.
FEB 5, 2020
- INTERNATIONAL BOUNDARY AND WATER COMMISSION:Opportunities Exist to Address Water Quality Problems
GAO-20-307: Published: Feb 5, 2020. Publicly Released: Feb 5, 2020.
JAN 22, 2020
- ALTERNATIVE DRINKING WATER SYSTEMS:Use by Very Small Communities, Related Cost Savings, and Technical Assistance Provided by EPA and USDA
GAO-20-217R: Published: Jan 22, 2020. Publicly Released: Jan 22, 2020.
DEC 19, 2019
- CLIMATE CHANGE:Potential Economic Costs and Opportunities to Reduce Federal Fiscal Exposure
GAO-20-338T: Published: Dec 19, 2019. Publicly Released: Dec 19, 2019.
Looking for more? Browse all our products hereScroll down
Explore our Key Issues on Natural Resources and Environment
- Air Quality
- Climate Change Funding and Management
- Climate Change Response
- Department of Energy’s Contract Management for the National Nuclear Security Administration and Office of Environmental Management – High Risk Issue
- Disposal of High-Level Nuclear Waste
- Energy Management in DOD Facilities
- Energy-Water Nexus
- Farm Programs
- Federal Oversight of Electricity Markets and Infrastructure
- Hardrock Mining on Federal Lands
- Hazardous Waste
- Iran Sanctions
- Limiting the Federal Government’s Fiscal Exposure by Better Managing Climate Change Risks – High Risk Issue
- Management of Federal Oil and Gas Resources – High Risk Issue
- Managing Natural Resources
- National Flood Insurance Program – High Risk Issue
- Native American Issues
- Nuclear Nonproliferation
- Petroleum and Alternative Fuels
- Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Toxic Chemicals – High Risk Issue
- Understanding Climate Change
- U.S. Arctic Interests
- U.S. Government’s Environmental Liability – High Risk Issue
- Water Quality
- Wildland Fire Management
Explore our other Key Issues hereScroll down